Monday, July 14, 2008

Upward Bound



























For the second year in a row I taught summer school for the Upward Bound program. This program is funded through a grant at Odessa college. It specifically targets high school aged students who live in Odessa and surrounding cities who are going to be the first in their families to go to college. The students come and stay at the dorms at O.C. and attend both core and elective classes the month of June. I taught this great group of sweet and creative youth Spanish beginner and advanced levels. They were an absolute joy to teach and I look forward to teaching under this program next summer.

We ended the summer with a banquet in which students received awards and recognition for all their hard work. My students also put on four puppet shows in Spanish. I guided them in making sock puppets and writing their funny story lines. They truly impressed me with their creativity. Their parents were all present at the banquet and really enjoyed the puppet shows. Above are some pictures of my students taken the night of the banquet and of myself with the director of Upward Bound, Debbie Vasquez. (also it was great to have Mom attend the banquet with me...Ulisses couldn't because of work)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that awesome that these YOUNG kids take the initiative to do something positive for their futures? Awesome!!! I bet you did a fantastic job too.